Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Day in the Garden

Yesterday we worked in the garden. It was a full day of pruning and planting bulbs and watering and clearing away the debris of summer’s end. HH was there, digging and watering and occasionally spraying a passerby. He has great fun in the garden and likes to be a part of it all. The whole neighborhood was out because these are community gardens, so there were big boys for him to watch and work with and I expect that fact was much on his mind. Today we will visit his Oma and I expect we will spend time in her garden, drawing water from the old well out back. He will probably have a good deal to tell her about his own garden and may have a few pointers for her. Yesterday he learned how to plant a bulb with the small end sticking up. He learned this from one of the neighbors and when I came to sit with him in the dirt he showed me how to do it properly and he was quite proud of himself, as he should be. He is growing and changing so fast and at times I wonder if I am quite ready for it.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Next weekend I have to do the fall prep. It's been a few weeks since I've really worked on the garden and I go into withdrawal. I wonder if I will miss it during the winter? Great that you are sharing gardening with your son - this was part of my summer every year growing up as my father gave me a garden of my own in the yard to do what I want with. He was really hands off unless I asked and those gardens were allowed to grow wild and beautiful.

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't find your Expatica 6/29 blog re "Culture Clash", so am commenting here.
Leaving a baby unattended in a vehicle. Very unAmerican. Yup, Chicago police would've smashed the window and "rescued" the child as soon as you found a cop. On the other hand, I've caught both my German wife and German father-in-law leaving children in strollers unattended outside a store. Yikes. Hier in Dresden there is a couple whose child was stolen from in front of a store in the 1980s. When Putin visited last year they were pictured on the front page of the paper with a banner imploring Putin to help them find their child. It is widely believed a Soviet officer took the child to replace his own sick or dead child. Despite this story, well known in Dresden, people here still leave small children unattended. I guess they figure that was an aberration. -- D in Double-D town.

11:35 AM  
Blogger christina said...

And just imagine his delight when he wakes up one spring morning to find that "his" bulbs have grown in to beautiful flowers. Gardening is such a great way to commune with our children.

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home