Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Weinachtsmarkt

Yesterday His Holiness and I visited the Weinachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) in the Neumarkt. There are a number of such markets in Cologne and ours is by no means the grandest but it has a carousel and yesterday HH went for his first ride. In the past he has been reluctant to mount the grocery store parking lot fire trucks and trains that cost between fifty cents to one dollar per ride and seldom work. He enjoys sitting on them – but as soon as I insert the coins and the machine starts to rock and roll, he wants off. That was not the case however with the big shiny Weinachtsmarkt merry-go-round, with it’s brightly colored, perfectly painted and maintained fire trucks and police wagons and motorcycles … He sat there, all alone and confident, and rode round and round in the fire truck and when it was time to go, he asked if he could take a spin (my words not his) in the police wagon. When that ride ended he asked about the motorcycle but I wasn’t sure he was ready for that and was able to convince him that we would revisit these vehicles another day.

It was another milestone, not a huge one like walking or talking or riding a bike or taking the bus to school on his own or his first kiss – but I am getting ahead of myself. It was a significant moment because for the first time he sat in a moving vehicle, toy that it was, by himself and without crawling out of it while it was still moving, and he did it twice in a row. Last night as he was going to sleep and we were reviewing the day, he smiled broadly when I congratulated him on his accomplishments on the merry-go-round, and he reminded me of my promise to return for a shot at the motorcycle, another small milestone; keeping Papa honest.

6 Comments:

Blogger x said...

His Holiness knows what he's doing. It's so amazing when one day you think they can't do such and such and the next day the jump a few steps and do much more.

10:23 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Sweet. It's so wonderful to see how their self-confidence grows as they try new things.

10:45 AM  
Blogger mama jens said...

That is so sweet. My baby just had her first ride a few days ago too. I had to go on with her so she didn't fall, and ended up feeling super dizzy, but it was worth it. Now we will never be able to pass one of those without stopping for a ride again!!

And, can't believe you are from Columbia!! We lived there for a year and that is where my husband's family is...one of the reasons why we chose Chapel Hill - to be relatively close to them.

Do you think we are making a big mistake??!! Now it is my turn to lay awake at night and wonder if that is the case.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Berlinbound said...

Thanks Chloe & Christina ... These first steps forward for him are huge leaps for Papa ... and great fun.

Jens ... I bet we know your husband - or someone who does. Columbia is a smallish city and my family sort of gets around ...

And don't worry. If I can move from Manhattan to Cologne and be happy - you can certainly make the reverse commute from Berlin to Chapel Hill (I think!!??) Anyway, sounds like you are ready for the kind of changes CH will brings ... I'm excited for you and your family.
My wife will be in Berlin in a few days ... I don't think HH and I are going to join her - but if we do I want to have coffee ... and maybe some kuchen !!! ... with you.

Best,
Richard

10:02 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

So sweet; he will likely remember this moment with his proud daddy.

1:54 AM  
Blogger mama jens said...

Hi Richard! I just read your reply comment! Did you guys make it to Berlin?

2:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home